This is a digital PDF download. No physical copies will be sent out.
Booklet instructions: How to make the booklet
- Print pages 2-7 double-sided. Page 1 is the instructions (which are also below)
- Once out of the printer, fold the three pages in half to create the booklet.
- Staple/sew if you wish.
How to use this resource:
- Explain to your child what this booklet is, and how it will be used. Show them the back page, and choose a reward they will get for filling it out.
- Remind your child that they do not need to actually eat the food. They are in charge of what goes into their mouth.
- Tell them they are in charge of being honest, and writing down their answer. (For kids who are young or going to be too sensory overloaded, make sure you tell them that you will do all the writing)
- Put a plate of food in front of your child.
- Write on the picture plate (left page) all the foods that are present. Include condiments and sauces.
- Let this next part be as open-ended as your child needs.
- Your child should answer the questions using their eyes, fingers or mouth. (If they will not eat it, ask them to touch it and answer the question “what I like”. If your child will not touch it, get them to use their eyes to answer the question.)
- Circle their first look/try.
- Give them a second to keep talking about the plate before asking them to circle their answer for their second look/try.
- On the back, record the individual items they actually ate/tasted and their response. Once ONE line is complete (ie: there could be 5 items in the “what I like” column, but the “what I do not like” is full)) they get the reward that you discussed before the booklet was started.
It is important to understand with many neurodiverse children, it takes a lot of time to get comfortable with foods. This is why it’s important to let them stay in control.
The booklet is small, so it doesn’t feel overwhelming.
I hope this helps you on your journey. Please feel free to share this resource with any of your friends by sending them to my website.
I appreciate your love and support immensely!